Initial 2023 Roza water supply forecast and diversion update
February 16, 2023
2023 diversions are scheduled to begin on Sunday March 19th. Deliveries will begin several days later as the canals are primed.
Snow-Water Equivalent is currently 99% on the Yakima River mainstem arm and 85% of average on the Naches River arm.
- The most recent long-range weather forecasts for the next three months remain mixed but are somewhat favorable, which is common for this time of year.
- Reservoir storage in the system is at 84% of average.
- Precipitation at the 5 reservoir sites for the water year, which began on October 1, 2022, is 74% of average.
- USBR will issue the first water supply forecast for the proratable irrigation districts on March 9th.
- To date the 2023 water year is similar to 1985 and 2017. Both of which were reasonably good years. The water year is also tracking similar to 1993 which finished with 78% supply.
- There are early indications by some forecasters that we are switching into an El Nino condition, which would likely affect us in 2024 and beyond, and is generally not good for water supply in the Yakima Basin.
Feel free to call or text me at the number below if you would like more detailed information.
Scott Revell, District Manager- (509) 840-2721